Sutton Council is seeking the views of residents and interested parties on the “Sutton Town Centre Conservation Area: Draft Character Appraisal and Management Plan”.
What is a Character Appraisal and Management Plan?
The Character Appraisal takes account of work done as part of the Sutton Town Centre Heritage Action Zone. The Heritage Action Zone is a partnership between to Historic England, the London Borough of Sutton and the Carshalton and District History and Archaeological Society to promote local heritage. It has resulted in a proposal to expand the existing Conservation Area in Sutton Town Centre to include some of the splendid Victorian architecture along the High Street.
The Management Plan includes guidelines on new development, alterations and extensions to buildings, the retention of upper floor detailing and shopfronts.
What should I do?
To comment on the document:
- Go to the document at www.sutton.gov.uk/currentconsultations,
- Read the Character Appraisal to check the Council have got their history and facts correct,
- Consider what you like and don’t like about Sutton Town Centre in terms of heritage,
- Read the Management Plan to check the Council are protecting what you like, and they are trying to improve what you do not like,
- Send your views to firstname.lastname@example.org or https://sutton.citizenspace.com.
Can I see a hard copy?
Yes. The documents will be in all the libraries and will be available at Sutton Civic Centre and the Council's Denmark Road offices in Carshalton.
There will be street stalls in Sutton High Street on
- Saturday, 8 June, 11am-2pm,
- Saturday, 29 June, 11am-2pm,
- Thursday, 11 July, 11am-2pm.
There will be a public event at Sutton Civic Centre on Thursday, 27 June with a drop-in session from 6pm and a meeting from 7.30.
When does the consultation close?
The consultation closes on Friday, 19 July.